I am very happy while writing this post as I cleared my Microsoft Certification exam MCTS 70-502 (Windows Presentation Foundation using Microsoft .net framework 3.5) with a score of 940 out of 1000. 700 was the passing criteria for the exam.
It was a good learning experience overall. While preparing for the exam I learned several new concepts, features and programming tips. I used to write some code samples along with reading the book that helped me to get some hand-on the topics. So preparing for the exam solved both purpose of getting certified as well as increasing my confidence level in WPF.
When I talked about my certification to my friends, few of my friends were inspired and asked me to guide for the certification process. So here I am providing some information.
Preparing for the Exam
- As a first step, visit Microsoft learning and certification website to search for the certification that you would like to appear. Here is the link for MCTS Exam 70-502.
- Go through the details provided for the exam. Preparation material section would provides details of online courses offered by microsoft related to the exam and books to refer. I purchased recommended Microsoft Press book (“MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-502): Microsoft® .NET Framework 3.5—Windows® Presentation Foundation”). This book has good contents and organized properly. This book is also accompanied with CD that contains e-Book (electronic version of book) and Practice Tests.
- Read the book properly, practice some code while reading to get hands-on of the topics and take practice tests at the end of each lesson in the book.
- Also refer online materials, blogs, MSDN website to explore more on WPF topics.
- Once you are done with preparation, install the practice tests provided in the CD. Practice test contains lots of questions to exhaust you. But you will also have a good learning while practicing the questions. Also search practice questions (exam dumps) online. They are very useful while taking exam.
Taking the exam
Prometric is the authorized testing center for taking microsoft certification exams.
- Register on Prometric website. This will create your login and generate unique Promteric ID for you. An email will be send with registration details. Use login details to log into the website.
- Check if Microsoft is offering “Second Shot Offer” in the duration when you are taking exam. If you fail the exam in first attempt, Second Shot offer allows you to take the exam free for the second time after 15 days of taking exam for first time. Registering for the Second Shot Offer is as simple as filling a small online form and this will instantly generate Voucher code for you and also email you the same. Use this Voucher code while registering for the exam.
- In Prometric website, Locate the Test Center near you, book you slot (date and time) for the exam and register for the exam. You can get exact exam fees details on Prometric website after selecting the exam number.
- Visit the Prometric testing center at the scheduled time and take you exam.
I hope this information helps you while preparing for the exam.
Wishing you best luck for you exam.